Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Training for the US 10K race in Atlanta


Started training last week for the US10K race held each year on Labor Day in Atlanta. The race starts at Cumberland Mall and goes straight up Hwy 41 and finishes at White Water, 6.2 miles. It is touted as the hardest 10K in America because of its monster hills, 6 of them to be exact!!! This will be my 3rd year in this race. I placed 5th in my age group in 2006, 3rd in 2007, so guess what I am going for this year.



Of course our training must consist of the hills. It doesn't matter what hills as long as they are long and steep. We reach speeds of up to 45 miles per hour going down them! Oh, did I forget to tell you that I am inline speed skating this race? Yes I am an inline speed skater. I am a member of GT Speed skating team in Columbus, Ga. So we started training over at the Northside Elemetry School entrance road last week. It is a 1 mile loop or lap, meaning that it is a 1 mile round trip up and back down. And it is a killer to say the least.



I did 4 laps on 2 different days last week and did 7 laps last night. I felt pretty good except for my heart rate getting as high as 187. It averaged 166 for the entire 7 laps which took 35:42 minutes. This is what I call extreme training, but it has to be done for this race.



Some of my fellow skaters joined me last night to train. They included Matt Stewart, JD Coleman, Teymur Etimadi, and coach Steve Stewart. They only did 5 or less laps (ha, ha, ha). I thought that Steve was going to puke!



I am really looking forward to this race because I really want to try to inprove my time from last year. Even though I finished 3rd in my age group, my time was 1:30 slower than in 2006. I attribute that to not being able to get into a pack or pace line early into the race. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait to see what happens this year.



I also just signed up for the North Shore Inline Marathon held in Duluth, Mn. on September 13, so this training will be a good start for that race also.

No comments: