Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Another weekend of back-to-back races - cycling


Well about 2 years ago I was fortunate enough to go watch the Athen's Twilight Crit road bike races in Athen's, Ga. I was so impressed with the racing and how fast they went that I said that I would like to try it one day. Well that one day came last Saturday. I have been training for the past 2 years and I felt that my time had come. Although I didn't really feel as though I had a chance of placing, I was up for the challenge, or so I though.

I also noticed that there was a mountain bike race the same weekend, but on Sunday, in Winder, Ga. at Fort Yargo State Park. This is only about 30 miles from Athens, so I might as well give it try while I am up there. I have the bike and the experience (1 race).

So I planned out my schedule as it would be a long weekend. I would leave right after work on Friday. I would be camping so I needed to go there first so I could get my tent set up before it got too late (no noise after 10pm). Butch was supposed to go with me but backed out at the last minute. So I am once again going alone!

Well I am now in Athen's Friday night after setting up my camp site. This is a real party town and everyone is out and about in downtown. There are vendors set-up and the pro's are having a stationary bike race to set the starting positions for their race on Saturday night. Everything related to the race is starting to close up for the night, and I am tired so I head back to the camp ground to get some sleep. My race is at 9:30am.

I have signed up for the Cat 5 race but it looks as though they are combining the Cat 4 and 5 together. I don't understand this as I am not a Cat 4 cyclist, but all I can do is hope that we still race in our own Cat. Well I guess I am wrong as I find out early Saturday morning at Jittery Joes when I pick up my race pack and bib number. Cat 4-5 combined and top 10 go to the finals. The finals are to be at 5:45 on the crit course downtown. We are racing this morning off site around the Greenway Loop. It is a 1.3 mile loop around a stretch of the Oconee River just north of the downtown area. It is mostly flat with one slight up hill and downhill.

So I set up my trainer and ride it for about 15 minutes to get the legs warmed up before I have to go to the start line. There are several other guys and girls doing the same thing in the parking lot. So I am now warmed up and getting ready for the race. I have about 15 minutes before the start time so I head up to the start line.

There are other races going on before us, so we have to wait around until they are finished before we can start. While I am waiting, I see Jose Solis and his son and say hello and wish them luck on their races. Jose Sr. races in the 40+ Masters age group and Jose Jr. races in the Cat 4-5 Under 35 age group.

So we are now set to go at the starting line. The count down starts and we are off. I am staged about 3/4 towards the front of the pack. I have trouble getting my left shoe locked into the pedal and loose alot of positions. I am now heading down the first hill and we hit the first turn at about 30 miles per hour. The second corner comes up real fast and a guy cuts me off and I have to hit the brakes real hard. My back tire locks up and skids out a little before I let off and regain control. By this time I am getting passed by everyone! I try to look for a break so that I can get back into the pack, but there is none. I go straight to the back! This sucks and was my worst nightmare. I struggle to keep up and am dropped on the back straight away.

So now I am all alone and sucking wind fast. Although my first lap was a whopping 27 miles per hour, I am now struggling to maintain 22. This race is a 30 minute race plus 3 laps, and I am only on lap number 2. Oh well, that is the breaks. I am not going to quit, so I keep telling myself to keep going and do the best that I can. I am actually not in last place either. So I keep pushing along and even get some cheers from the crowd watching. This is quite inspiring. I even start talking to a couple of cute girls on the back stretch as I go by every lap.

Well the agony is short lived and the race is now officially over. I finished 28th out of 30 riders. Time was 43.5 minutes. Averaged 21.5 miles per hour with a heart rate of 172. I go back to see the girls that cheered me and give the a well deserved thank you and hi-five. I head back to the truck a little disappointed but glad that I gave it try.

I am now on my way over to Fort Yargo State Park to go check out the mountain bike course. It is only a 30 minute drive and it will give me a little time to rest the legs for a short while. I want to ride to course to see what it is all about. There is an Exterra (off road triathlon) race there this morning and was hoping to see some of it.

So I get here a little too late and they are giving out the awards for the Exterra race. I look around to see if there is anyone that I might know, but I don't see anyone. I might like to give this race a try next year too. There isn't many people here, so I watch the awards and go get my bike out to hit the trails. I have to get back to Athens by 5:45 to watch the start of the finals. I plan on taking it slow around the course, so it will probably take me over an hour to do it all.

The course is 10.8 miles and is pretty hilly. It goes all of the way around the lake. Towards the end of the course is a series of large hills. My legs are starting to cramp on me so I have to get off of the bike and walk it up them. I really hope that I don't have this problem tomorrow!

So after my ride I decide that I am going to do the race and sign up. I now have to take a shower and head back to the camp ground. So I grab a bite to eat and talk to a couple of people there. Head to the showers and head back to the camp ground.

I have a little time before the finals start so I decide that I am going to take a nap. I try to lay down in the tent but it is just too hot in there. So I set up one of my chairs and sit outside in the breeze for a while, but don't get that nap that I wanted. I decide to make a few phone calls and let everyone know what is going on.

It is now 5:30 and I head back over to Athens to watch the finals. There is all kind of races and festivities going on all day. Kids races, a 1 mile sprint for $1000 cash, a chariot race, recumbent bike race, etc...

So after all of that is over, I finally get to see the Cat 4 finals. Jose made it so I am looking for him. I never find him or his son so I have no idea how he did. I did see a couple other guys from the Columbus Bike racing team and said hey to them. I don't think that they knew who I was either! LOL

So I hang around waiting for the big finally race, the pro men. It isn't supposed to start until 8:45, but actually starts around 9:30pm. I watch it for several laps, but have to leave before the finish as I am just too tired to stay up late. I have to be over at the mountain bike race by 11am, plus I have to take down my tent and pack everything up.

So I head back to camp and hit the sack. After I get my McDonald's ice cream cone that is! Yummy...

View the Athen's Twilight Crit Results

No comments: