Saturday, April 18, 2009

Celebrity Classic 5K Run


As a tradition between Kent and I, we run again in this race. This is the race that I ran my first 5K in 3 years ago. I have placed 3rd twice, so I am looking for a higher placement this year.

The course is a pretty flat run with 2 small hills on it. We start at the Bulldog Bait shop off of Victory Dr. The run goes out half way and turns around and comes back to the starting line for the finish.

It is typically a small race, but there are usually more people entered into the 10K run than the 5K run.

SO the 10K runners go first and then we go. I always tend to have a fast start out of the gate. So when the cannon goes off, I am ready to go strong. I really would like to beat Kent for once. He is a strong runner, but has a slow start.

So I get a good jump on him at the start, but I don't how far back he is. Last year he caught me at the 1 mile marker and I wasn't able to keep his pace. So I get to the first mile marker and he isn't there. My time is 7:22, which is very fast for me. But I have planty of energy and keep on my pace.

I hit the turn-around and see Kent. He is about 100 feet or so behind me, but I know he will try to catch me if he can. I hae to maintain my pace and try to stay that distance ahead of him. I hit mile 2 at 14:20. I am actually faster than my first mile. Alright, this is great!!! Kent is going to have to bust his balls to catch me now! LOL

Well I am heading down the last hill towards the finish line when I hear foot steps coming up behind me. Yep, you guessed it, it is Kent and he has that look of determination on his face. I take a quick look back and kick in the afterburners! Whatever I have, I am giving it my all. Kent has the same idea and we are fighting head-to-head to the finish line.

We are hitting the pavement stride-for-stride and cross the finish line together and record the same exact time, 23:28. I can't believe it. It is my second fastest 5K time ever, and my fastest on a non-down hill course. I am guite amazed that I was able to maintain that pace and almost beat Kent for the first time.

I actually had a lot of fun racing Kent and I will (hope) to get him next time. Kent and I both record our first 1st places in a 5K run in our age groups! YAY

No comments: