Sunday, May 30, 2010

GSC #4 West Point, Ga.


West point is almost like a local race. It is only about 40 miles north of Columbus. This was good in that I was able to actually go up there 3 times and ride the course before the race. It is a very typical course, about 10 miles with it's share of up and down hills and fast flats.

I had a flat front tire the week before the race, so I decided to buy 2 new tires instead of just trying to fix the flat. I got the Kenda Blue Groove for the front and the Kenda Nevegal for the back. Both are a lot more aggressive than the tires I had on the bike.

The new tires turned out to be a very good thing as it rained hard the day before the race. The course was very slick in the corners and on the bridges. The start of the race a 250 yard flat sprint, then a 90 degree right hand turn up a 100 foot steep hill that was very muddy. So my plan was to hopefully get the hole shot and be the first to the hill. I didn't want to get stuck behind anyone and take a chance that they screw up on the hill. I would hate to have to walk the bike up it.


As the gun goes off, I sprint out to the lead. I was challenged by a new guy riding for the Cycle Youth team. Luckily I was able to hold him off right before we hit the hill. I motored right up the hill and sprinted back down and into the woods. They were not too far behind me tough. I also wanted to get to and over the first bridge in the lead.

As I get to the bridge I see a lot of people watching it. I am sure they wanted to see a crash. As I carefully cross the bridge and sprint up the hill and around the corner, I hear what sounds like a crash. I have no idea what happened and I never look back. I am hoping that whatever happened slowed them down.

As I am racing through the woods, I am able to eventually catch a glimpse back when I do a few switchbacks. I have a good lead on them! Maybe I can hold them off. I am in the hilly part of the course, which is good for me. I know that Curtis is back there and will giving it everything he has to catch me. I really don't like being in the lead as I have nothing to judge myself to. All he has to do is keep me in his sites and try to catch me.

Shortly after I reach the top of the hill section, I hear someone coming up behind me. I am about halfway through the course by then, but I know it probably is Curtis. Shortly there after he passes me. We are on a long slight down hill section so I try my best to keep up with him. I am able to do it for a while, but my legs are almost short so I have to back it off a little. Curtis is very strong and I will kill myself if I try to push it too hard.

Shortly, another guy passes me. I don't pay any attention to his race number and just let him go. He is on a single speed bike so I was thinking that he was in that category. Well I was totally wrong! It was Bob Saxon and he is now in 2nd place. Dang it!!! And I just let him go without a challenge. Oh well. I will not let that happen again. Learned the hard way.

So anyway, the race a good one but still pretty slick. I did manage to finish without any problems. But I did do a lot of sliding around in some corners. I ended up finishing 3rd. Still in 2nd place for the overall series.


Here are the RESULTS

No comments: